GUIDELINES AND SELECTION PROCESS
The 2016 First Edition Children's Book Contest is now closed.
Manuscripts must be:
- Appropriate for children from birth to 5 years old.
(See "Choosing Books for Young Children." click here.)
- 600 words or less.
- Original and not previously published in any form or currently under consideration by another publisher. Retellings of traditional stories, such as fairy tales, will be considered, as long as the manuscript is unique and in the writer's own words.
- Free of discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or any other means of social classification.
- Each manuscript will undergo two rounds of review.
- The first round will be executed by the First Edition Project Editor supported by a team of early literacy experts at Southwest Human Development.
- The second round will be conducted by the Project's Final Review Committee— a group of professionals with expertise in child developmeant, early childhood education, early literacy and/or children's book sales and publishing, as well as the First Edition Project Editor.
- If, during the selection process, no manuscript rises to the top, Southwest Human Development reserves the right to void the contest and not claim a winning entry.